Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One Smart Cookie

When Zoe was little, the teacher in me kicked in and I tried so hard to teach her everything I possibly could - from colors, counting to 10, saying and recognizing her ABC's, etc. As she has grown into a very smart, independent little lady....I have given up! I still work with her, but only when she initiates and have realized that she will learn it all when she is ready.

Over the summer, on our way to the pool one day, she decided to make me crazy and ask me the "Mommy, what color is that one?" to every house we passed.....let me just say it's about a 15 minute drive to the pool - we saw a lot of houses! This continued for the week each time we were in the car. After that, she knew all of the colors!

Lately, she has really been working on sorting into different categories. Again, this is all on her own. One night, her and Ryan were playing blocks. First she sorted them into groups by shapes (I have to work hard to teach this to my first graders people!), then she sorted them by colors and built castles of each color.

The other day, she had out a huge stack of construction paper. She decided she was going to sort it all by color before using them. :)







Then, we had to be silly of course, before doing anything else!


Now, I'm in no way saying that she is first grade smart.....I'm just saying I know that this type of sorting is a skill I teach in first grade.
I just love the fact that she takes interest in doing these sorts of activities and has fun doing so. To me, she's one smart cookie (or monkey, or Punky, or doodle bug, or whatever you want to call her!)

1 comment:

  1. Adorable, as usual! I have the same thoughts somedays....I spent how much time teaching this to my first graders??? :)

    ReplyDelete