Thursday, December 16, 2010

"How-to" Christmas Star

A few of the teachers at work received this awesome gift from a student. They were these huge stars made from some sort of 2 sided, heavy duty cardstock (which I have now learned was probably 12x12 double sided cardstock for scrapbooking - which I don't have). I made it my mission to figure out how in the world to make these things!  Which, I did, and thought I would share...

Step 1:
You will need 6 square pieces of paper.  For mine, I used 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch squares.
 Step 2:
Fold each paper in half to make a triangle. Then cut about 1 inch strips following the lines of the triangle - starting at the fold. Sorry, this is hard to explain and also hard to photograph. Hopefully you can figure it out from these...

 Step 3:
Open the square and you should have something like this...
 Step 4:
Starting with the outside strips, attach at the tips, alternating sides. I attached using scotch tape, but would suggest using a stapler - I think it would hold better and would be less visible.


 You will end up with 6 pieces like this...
 Step 5:
Punch a small hole in 1 corner of each piece.
 Step 6:
Put the pieces in the order that you would like them and then string together.
 Step 7: Yet another hard step to describe or photograph.  You are going to attach each piece at their middles in order to hold the star in place. There is a piece of tape that is attached on the back of the red and also the back of the ornament piece.
 Step 8:
Thread a string from the top and voila! - you have a star.  According to my other half, they aren't so great...but I sure do like it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment